Sail Charlevoix is committed to the health and safety of our staff, students, and the community.
Per the latest safety guidelines issued by the State of Michigan, the Health Department of Northwest Michigan, and the CDC, Sail Charlevoix will be operating more like seasons before 2020. We will still be following policies that will allow us to ensure everyone's safety as our top priority. All sailors/students, volunteers, parents, and staff will be expected to follow these policies. Please note, any of these policies are subject to change as the official guidance and rules are updated.
If you have any questions about our policies below, please ask!
- Registration for summer 2021 sessions: February 10
- Youth Learn to Sail, Boyne City: Monday, June 14
- Evening Family Sailing, Boyne City: Thursday, June 17
- Youth Learn to Sail, Charlevoix: Monday, June 28
- Boat Rentals, Charlevoix: Monday, June 28
- Evening Family Sailing, Charlevoix: Thursday, July 1
OVERVIEW OF COVID-19 POLICIES & PROCEDURES
- People who are sick, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19 in the past 14 days are asked to stay home.
- Full ‘daily’ refund credit to any student that stays home ill. Students who become ill will not be able to attend class, and they must be approved before returning to class or rescheduled to a later date. For example, a student attending Monday and Tuesday but falling ill on Wednesday will be given refund credit for the remaining 3 days in the week, if they are unable to attend classes due to illness.
- Brand new sailors can register this season.
- We recommend vaccination and, if possible, a self-quarantine period of 14 days for persons traveling to the area before attending classes or programs.
- Limiting class size to twenty (20) students - exceptions will be considered if registration puts the session slightly above.
- Our age minimum will return to age eight (8).
- Students and staff may still wear a mask if they so choose.
- Hand-washing/sanitizing stations will be on hand at both Boyne City and Charlevoix, Depot Beach locations.
- Students are not allowed inside the program trailer.
- The program will maintain a protocol for daily recording and monitoring of the health status of all students and staff.
- Students must bring their clothing, closed-toed shoes, lifejackets, sunscreen, water bottles, and any other equipment needed to sail. Sail Charlevoix will not have these items available for sharing.
- Restrooms and drinking fountains are public and managed by the cities of Boyne and Charlevoix. Use them at your own risk.
- Students must bring their own snacks and beverages and may not share with others.
- We ask parents to maintain physical distancing recommendations during drop off and pick up.
- Visitors without reservations to sail are to not come to the sailing school area during hours of operation. You may watch from a safe distance.
- We encourage families to limit exposure potential as best as possible leading up to and through your session date.
- Lead instructors will decide at the beginning of each session who will sail and who will stay onshore for land-based instruction. The decision will be made based on current weather conditions and the amount of "tiller time" the sailor has had previously. If the sailor does not get much on-the-water time, you will have the option to withdraw from the class and receive a refund for the remaining days of your week.
The above list is only an overview of changes to our program that are necessary to keep people safe. We will also be evaluating the program weekly and will adjust or cancel the season if needed.
We will send additional emails to attendees with more information and details of the above before their scheduled session date.
As always, please reach out if you have questions or want to make a change to your summer plans. We wholeheartedly agree this is a different time, and we thank you for your understanding and support!